Thursday, March 20, 2008

Amazing

So recently I've been hearing this song on a DWS [correction: DSW] Shoes commercial and immediately recognized it but couldn't quite place it. It was a tight groove too and I'm saying I know I have that on something. Well after the third time or so seeing the spot, it hit me... no[ne] other than The Bamboos' "Happy", who happen to still be on my Recent Listening list.

I say to myself, "I should post about this," because I love to talk about commercials even though I hate commercials. I start thinking how the commercial jingle is dead and that the people working behind the scenes are actually using real music to sell their products, whether it be current or retread 80's hits. Still, this may not have made it to print until tonight.

Sitting at home watching the NCAA tourney, toying with the blog template, I notice that The Bamboos are still in my recent listening. I actually say to myself, "Ha. I bet all of my recent listenings are in commercials these days." A fairly baseless musing to myself, especially when I look over what's there and see Maynard and Saul Williams, cats who aren't popping up in commercials anytime soon. And then... literally within 20 minutes or so... this commercial:








No shit! And while the title of this post is "Amazing", truth is it's really not that amazing anymore. At the end of the day music doesn't pay the bills unless you're selling platinum. Artists make their name from the music and make their money from everything else (merchandise, touring, licensing, etc.)

When the commercial was over how did you feel? "Damn straight!" That's what I said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn straight is right...although it doesn't quite fit. Nice to see Saul get this kind of love though.

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Thanks for your blog. I googled DWS for the purpose of learning what piece of music they were using. I love it. Thanks for solving my puzzle!!

Much obliged,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I saw artist Bonobo do a DJ set in 2004 and he spun "Happy" by The Bamboos and I've been looking for it since. Just saw DWS ad, did a search, found your post, learned what the song was. THANK YOU. Respect from Chicago, Butter

Label Cloud

Daily Astronomy