Friday, February 20, 2009

NIN and Jane's Addiciton (together again)

I've never seen either band perform live, though own all of JA's albums and all of NIN's up to The Perfect Drug era (Halos 1-11 or something, then I gave up.) The With Teeth album started to bring me back a few years ago and lately, in part due to Trent's well-focused angst against corporate music control, I've been meaning to seek out NIN's new material. This song, while not all that new now, was the one that got me seriously re-interested a few years back.

Now comes word that the original Jane's Addiction lineup will be touring with NIN, doing small clubs over the next year. I will go. Not because I want to relive the past, which is why I skipped the Pixies and Violent Femmes recent reunion tours (somewhat regrettably) - but because I think these are important artists who have, in some ways, reached the pinnacle of success, but now find themselves focused on the music and the passion. It sounds like its not about selling out the biggest venues they can and selling $35 t-shirts to adoring fans. (That could still happen, I'd imagine.) But it sounds like they might just want to create some new magic. Maybe that's all bullshit. Maybe just wishful thinking. I'll be there to find out.

Trent's words from NIN.com

Eric's (Jane's bass player) words from JanesAddiction.com

No comments:

Label Cloud

Daily Astronomy