Friday, February 20, 2009

Hip-hop needs a new classic



Someone sent me this video tonight and I got hyped to post and talk about the album that dropped just this past Tuesday. Then I started listening to the other songs on the myspace page. Now I'll let someone else tell you how tight it is. Here's why.


Kanye West: Kanye is terrible. I remember first being introduced to Kanye (not in person) as an artist who would "bridge the gap" between the backpackers and the mainstream. How about an artist focused on selling as many records as possible by being grossly over-marketed regardless of quality of work. Call me a hater. Kanye, please go away.


M.I.A: See above but replace the word "Kanye" with "M.I.A." and "backpackers" with the phrase "impoverished 3rd world." That should do it.


There's just not enough time in the day to waste any of it on bleh. It might be "hot"... but it doesn't sound good. "Yo, that joint is hot!" Uhh, right, it is, but it also sounds like shit. "Kanye and M.I.A. are hot, son!" Agreed. And they both sound terrible when they open their mouths. But sound is secondary to sight (thus my eyes wide shut.)

And while those are the most mainstream, watered-down artists contributing to this record, I wasn't moved by appearances from Tom Waits, Chuck D, ODB (resurrected), or much else. I tend to think most people will feel this. It's fresh. It's cutting. It's genre-spanning, label-busting, cross-generational music for the masses. Agreed. But does it sound good?


Honestly, I wouldn't have taken the time to talk and post if I didn't think this was worth checking out. And I'm feeling this song, no doubt. But damn... was thinking we had something classic for a minute. Hip-hop needs a new classic.


You know what... jumped over to Amazon to check out more tracks. It's pretty tight. Fatlip and KRS-One on a track, Del and DJ Qbert on a nice track... I think I just needed to get that Kanye/MIA bashing off my chest.

I do feel better.

No comments:

Label Cloud

Daily Astronomy